Ode to a Lemon … Gluten free LEMON BLUEBERRY CAKE
Ode to a Lemon … GLUTEN FREE LEMON BLUEBERRY CAKE !
Lemon appreciation started early for me. As a young child my favorite color was YELLOW. Not the pale yellow you see in frostings or greenish-hued yellow of sandwich mustard. Pure, true LEMON yellow was my color of choice. Did it start from enjoying my Mom’s mouth watering Lemon Meringue pies and cups …
or velvety smooth lemon pound cake, both which were my favorite desserts? I wouldn’t be surprised! Which came first … the chicken or the …? In any case the sunny brightness of lemons always makes me happy, and the tart fruity taste a wecome addition to many desserts that I enjoy baking.
In my California garden I am lucky to have both a Meyer Lemon tree (cross between a lemon and a mandarin or orange) and the regular Eureka (sour) lemon tree. I prefer the Meyer lemon when using the juice only and the Eureka lemon if I need to grate the rind, as it has a more pure lemon taste.
Yellow has also found its way into my home decor with soft yellow walls in the bathroom , a wonderful yellow Spanish Marble floor and counters and some truely perfect c.1929 butter yellow Malibu Potteries flower tiles as accents. So uplifting.
It doesn’t surprise me that our dear family friend, Pat, who passed away last weekend after a very long and full life, chose to give me what turns out to be just up my alley in the form of two amazing antique majolica lemon towers which I will cherish.
Back to Lemon Recipes. This cake or bread recipe is wonderfully moist and flavorful. Good enough for a birthday party or as an afternoon treat with coffee or tea.
Lemon Blueberry Cake
1-1/3 cups gluten-free flour (Authentic Foods CLASSIC blend)
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
1 cup fresh firm blueberries ( one small container)
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice ( strained)
¼ cup sugar
For the glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon cream
(1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour loaf pan or bundt cake pan.
(2) Sift together flour, baking powder into medium sized bowl. Set aside.
(3) In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, oil, and vanilla.
(4) Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture.
(5) Mix in blueberries
(6) Bake for about 50 minutes, or until knife in center of cake comes out clean and top is deep brown.
(7) While cake is baking, make the lemon syrup: cook 1/4 cup lemon juice + 1/4 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear.
(8) Remove cake from oven and while still in pan poke a few holes with a wooden skewer all over the cake bottom. Brush lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Turn cake over onto plate or cooling rack.
(9) For the glaze, mix powdered sugar, cream and lemon juice until thick. Pour over the cooled cake.